Saturday, March 3, 2012

a 1/4 century birthday

Happy Birthday to my 25-year-old husband! You are growing up! Ha.

We had a great day celebrating! Grandma Rowan gave us her old waffle iron when we were staying at their house in January. She sent a waffle recipe up with my mom last week and I made them for Ben's birthday breakfast . . . mmmm!


Ben and I love popcorn, and in the Myers family tradition, we are very strict in how we make it. Vegetable oil, white popcorn kernels (preferable Orville Redenbacher's), a good pot on the stove, and Kernel Season's Popcorn Salt. Lately we have been thinking about how fun it would be to have his and hers popcorn bowls. (There is absolutely no bowl-sharing in our family because when we share, we are too stressed about getting our fair share, and there is less enjoyment. It's important, people, it is.) So, I took Ben to Color Me Mine today to create his popcorn bowl. In July, we'll go and create my popcorn bowl.


This is what we came up with. (All of the colors will be darker/more vibrant once the bowl is fired.)
An equation: popcorn kernels + oil +


a pot + salt =


Big Ben's Big Bowl of


POPCORN


Ben was the "artistic director" and I handled the detailed painting. We also painted BYU blue stripes along the top and bottom of the bowl.


I was worried that it would be too girly of an activity for Ben, but because we were painting together, and painting such a treasured item, mind you, we had so much fun! We were there for almost three hours and are very proud of our creation.


Then we had an early dinner at Chili's! It was surprisingly very yummy. Even the water was so refreshing. We must have been really hungry.


Tomorrow we will celebrate with Buttermilk Cake with Spiced Vanilla Icing. It is delicious. Click here for the recipe.

Happy Birthday to my sweet husband!

7 comments:

Lucy said...

Happy Birthday to Ben! You described the stress of sharing snack food perfectly:) glad you found such a creative and cute way to fix the problem!

Ben Van Noy said...

We went to Chili's that same night with my mom! (she is in town) It must have been to celebrate with you guys in spirit :)

AJ Araya said...

I love it! That is such a good idea! Ben's designs and your execution is terrific. I've always wanted to do Color Me Mine... I'd love to hear more about your experience, to see if I should really do it. :)Sounds life a fabulous birthday!

Randy said...

Ben is so lucky to have such a fun-loving and creative wife. I know you made him feel very special. Happy Birthday to Ben-Bud. He is a good man, a great husband and a great son.

Randy

Tyler and Rachael said...

I'm totally impressed with Ben's popcorn bowl! Neat handwriting, clever design, such fun! Happy Birthday Ben. p.s. are you going to make it to Pine Mountain this year? Hoping so-- we'll be there and we'd LOVE to meet Ben!

MollyJae said...

Happy Birthday!! So glad you found the perfect popcorn bowl. It's so much cuter than anything you found online.

Jamin said...

Wish we were the ones making that cake for Ben and celebrating with both of you--but I'd like to think that our spirits will be present in every bite. We miss you here in Provo!