Thursday, March 3, 2011

what the heck do you expect?

This semester, I have a class every Thursday night - SFL 498 FLE Methodology - where we learn to be FLEers: Family Life Educators. I'm taking this class, among others, so that when I graduate, I can have a bachelors degree and be a Certified Family Life Educator. Woo! Our big project for the semester has been, in groups, to develop a curriculum concerning some aspect of family life education and then to teach it to the community in a two-hour workshop.

My group, Carrie, Whitney, and I, have been meeting every Thursday evening for about one hour at the end of class and every Friday afternoon. We have worked hard, and I think it paid off! Our "big" workshop was this past Tuesday evening!

Our workshop was called "What the Heck do you Expect?" and it was for LDS engaged couples. The focus was on creating realistic expectations for marriage. Our workshop was split into three sections - Whitney did "realistic expectations for yourself," Carrie did "realistic expectations for your partner," and after a break where the students got to decorate their own sugar cookies, I covered "realistic expectations for you marriage."

The workshop was full of mini-lectures, group discussions, role play, and multimedia examples. We had a great turnout and wonderful participation, and we are so excited that we did it!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I saw this on your facebook feed but didn't connect the dots that you were one of the presenters. How cool. The posters looked great and I'm glad you got a good turnout. I think the topic is timely too.

Kristi said...

sounds awesome Karin! way to go!

Catie said...

Go Karin! I just sent in my application for CFLE! Isn't it so cool?!?

Kelly said...

That sounds so awesome! Good job. I'm missing talking to you!!