Monday, November 12, 2012

I Got Crafty!

Ben had to travel last week for work (I don't know how you women with husbands who travel every week do it), so to keep myself busy after work I made some things to help me organize my jewelry.  I'm totally pleased.

For my necklaces, I covered a cork-board in a pretty frame with some fabric I bought last summer when we lived in the Sunset District.  I think the fabric is to die for.  I also had some flat pearls I bought last summer at Michael's and I hot-glued those onto the top of white thumb tacks to hang my necklaces on.  It probably would have made more sense to secure the fabric onto the cork-board with thumb tacks, but I just hot glued  it on in a few places around the edges.  Ben says it looks like something you could buy in Anthro and that is the ultimate compliment.  The bracelet stand is from Target.


For my hair accessories, I did a similar thing.  I hot-glued fabric onto a cork-board and then hot-glued ribbon cross-ways on top.  I hot-glued the ribbon at the ends and whenever it crossed another ribbon.  Now I can just slip the clips onto the ribbon.


Earrings.  Okay I couldn't get this picture to rotate so you'll have to turn your head.  I just used the same fabric I used for my hair clips (also from the little shop in the Sunset District) and secured it tightly in two embroidery hoops.  Totally easy and totally cute, right?


Our apartment contract is up in January and we are hoping to find another, less pricey place to live so I'm not going to bother putting holes in our walls for these now, but when we move I will hang them all up gallery-style and I'm excited for that.


And at the end of the week, I was done crafting, and this is how I knew Ben was home.  Within the first hour he was home we had popcorn.



I was also a little artsy last month and I entered this in an art contest for art work to hang in the new Zachary's location in Pleasant Hill.  Totally out of my comfort zone to enter an art contest.  Even more so to blog about it.  Eeek.  We'll find out this week if my art gets to go in the new restaurant and if it doesn't, Ben wants to save it for his future "man cave".



And speaking of Ben . . in case you were wondering what the two of us are going to look like in old age, here you go!




4 comments:

AJ Araya said...

Wow! Stellar crafts! I'm super impressed, they look fabulous. And your painting is awesome too! Way to make good use of your time. :)

Ashley said...

Way to go, Karin, although I have to admit that I'm a little disturbed by those last pictures. :)

Kelly said...

Wow! You are a little freaky as an old person! Congrats on the art contest! Yours looks great! Good luck

Shelley said...

1. love the jewelry holders A TON...like am going to invite you over to help me make some.
2. GREAT painting; they are fools if they don't hang it!
3. Creepy old people, just saying.
4. remember, no moving out of the ward; our presidency cannot take it!