Monday, February 21, 2011

keeper questions

This past weekend, our Stake Relief Society had a Women's Conference.
The first hour was a keynote speaker and then there were multiple breakout sessions, from which we could choose two to attend. Because organizing is one of my passions, naturally one of the sessions I chose was on organizing. The Conference concluded with a yummy lunch, and then I came home and told Ben about all the new things I had learned.

I told him about how our homes can be sacred as we organize every needful thing, beautify, provide light, plant seeds, foster the fulfilling of our measure of creation, and allow agency and provide Savior experiences. Then, we can tend our homes and have joy.

I told him that we learned that organizing can be streamlined if we first identify every needful thing. To do this, we use keeper questions:
Do I like it?
Do I use it?
Do I need it?
Do I want it?
Do I have room for it?

I told him about how we learned that we shouldn't keep things using excuses such as "I paid good money for this" because the store price is probably less than the price of the space it takes up and the price of maintenance. We shouldn't keep things just because we feel guilt or sentiment because grandma probably will be okay if we give her homemade afghan to somebody who will actually wear it. For the things we do want to keep, we use memory boxes. Another excuse we shouldn't use is "I might need it someday!" (The reason I own mostly everything I do!) Well, somebody might need it today, and we will be blessed when we do need it if we give it up today. We learned that Less is Best and "Big" isn't better, it's just . . "big!"

Well, all I had to do was come home and tell Ben about these ideas, and on Sunday morning I woke up to find this:


And now it looks like this:


And that is what I call a successful Women's Conference!! :)

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Wow, Karin....either you took very good notes or you truly mastered the principles taught at the Women's Conference. :-) Sounds like it was a great, inspiring event. The speaker would be thrilled to know you came home and applied what you had learned!