Saturday, October 15, 2016

Settling In

We are starting to settle in to our new lives here in Plymouth, MN.  The transition was rough - we felt rushed moving in, and it was a really big change for Jacob (and for Ben & me).  But now that we've been here for 2 1/2 months we are feeling more settled both physically and mentally.  We're all unpacked, we know where the grocery store is, and we are getting into a routine.

Ben is really enjoying his new job at General Mills.  He's working on the Old El Paso team and has a really great group of people to work with.  The work is busy and overwhelming, but so enjoyable for him (and for me to talk about with him at dinner time . . much more so than his previous work).

I am getting into a better routine with my Usborne work, which has really taken off over the past few months.  I thought I was busy last year, but I am much more so now.  I am loving it and I love helping to provide for our family doing something that I enjoy and while filling our home (literally to the brim) with amazing books.  Jacob loooooves to read and that just fills my heart with joy.

Jacob is a busy little man!  On Mondays we have gymnastics class, where he excels - he loves to run and climb and jump and roll.  This past week he was very much interested in walking on all the balance beams, and he surprised us by knowing when/where to do somersaults!  He needs our help, but he loves to "roll" all the time.  On Wednesday evenings we have swim class and Jacob likes to kick, but loves to jump in over and over even more.  On Thursday mornings, Jacob & I go to baby story time at the library where we read books and sing songs and then play with toys - we both enjoy it very much.  On Fridays, we have ECFE - early childhood family education - it's like a preschool setting where the 16-20 month olds learn about that kind of environment and the parents discuss parenting toddlers with a family educator.  It's such a great resource!  When we're not doing one of those activities, we are usually at one of the 65 (65!!) parks in the city of Plymouth.  The parks here are amazing...like really, really amazing.  We also go for walks and run errands to the grocery store and to Target.

Jacob & I joined the gym, and while we had a very rough go at it for a long time, Jacob went this last Thursday with no tears at all!  This is so great for us because he gets to play and learn how to be okay without me, and I get my exercise in!

It is already getting cold, cold, cold outside and I know we have many, many, many more degrees to go down this winter.  It's a little worrisome, but we plan on getting ourselves outfitted for the winter at REI soon.  We have been so surprised at how wilderness-y it is here - a very beautifully developed city, but plenty of open space and ponds and lakes and trees and birds and squirrels and bunnies . . we LOVE it.  Plymouth is SO family-friendly.  There is so, so, so much to do here for family and young children - all year round - and thus far, Plymouth has very much exceeded our expectations.  We are so impressed! 

Here are some totally-out-of-order picture high-lights since we've been here.


































1 comment:

Tyler and Rachael said...

That is one super cute boy!!! So glad you are liking MN and all there is to do and that you've settled into a routine.