January 5th: I have my very own baby shower with wonderful friends in Walnut Creek!
January 7th: We buy a baby glider from a family in our apartment complex! Jamin & Anne sent us this sweet, sweet blanket!
January 12th: I begin being see for my OB care at a new office under our Medi-Cal coverage. It's not going to be Dr. Murphy, but they have a lot of resources, and I had to file a special medical exemption to be seen here! It is the Medi-Cal clinic run by UCLA so each appointment will begin with being seen by an OB resident at UCLA and will end with being seen by whichever UCLA OBGYN is the attending physician at the clinic that day. At my intake appointment, I register for the hospital, I'm set up with a dietitian and a social worker, I have the option to attend a class on proper car seat installation and usage, and I'm given access to lots of materials and a website to take classes on childbirth, breastfeeding, and other relevant topics. I will have my first medical check-up later in the month.
January 18th: Twenty-four weeks pregnant.
January 20th: Baby loves the Giants!
January 21st: I have my appointment with the dietitian and we check my weight . . at 24 weeks 3 days pregnant, I have finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight! Now it's time to gain, gain, gain! The dietitian wants me to eat spinach, salmon, and beans, but I'd prefer that Ben & Jerry's! I'll compromise and do both. ;)
January 28th: I had my first OB appointment at the Medi-Cal clinic. (A week later and I hadn't gained a single pound!) I am going to a clinic that is run by UCLA and that will allow me to still give birth at the UCLA hospital, which I am so grateful for. But, being seen at a clinic is very different. I'll see a different OB resident and physician for each appointment and this is hard because this pregnancy hasn't exactly been ordinary. Every time I go (and every time I call with a question) I have to explain my entire pregnancy to whomever I talk to. The doctor that I saw for this first appointment was fine, but it was very frustrating to me that she wanted to switch up my entire medicine routine and I left with 5 new prescriptions. I was just like "I'm 25 weeks pregnant now. I tried every medicine available within the first 10 weeks. I've got my routine. Please let me keep it! Let's not rock the boat."
January 29th: I have my first appointment with a new Primary Care Physician. She actually came to me recommended by Dr. Murphy last quarter and she works at a UCLA Family clinic that takes Medi-Cal - what a blessing! She was wonderful and I'm so grateful for this added care that can be more consistent. She spent almost a full hour with me discussing all of my concerns and really learning about me and my situation. Awesome.
January 30th: Glucose Tolerance Test! I drank 75 mg of "orange" flavored pure sugar in 3 minutes and had my blood drawn 3 times. Not my idea of a great morning, but I passed with flying colors!
February 7th-8th: Ugh! What a long night! And nothing was even wrong! I was having some pretty intense chest pains Saturday night, intense enough that I couldn't focus on the latest episode of Downton Abbey we were trying to watch. The pain was in my chest, shoulders, upper back, and jaw . . so we called Labor & Delivery and they directed me to come in to the ER right away. So we did. That was around 10 PM . . and we didn't leave until 11 AM the next day! No sleep! We were delirious! The doctors ran lots of tests - blood work, EKG, leg ultrasounds to check for blood clots, chest X-Rays to check my heart size, and a VQ scan of my lungs to check for blood clots there. They didn't find anything, which means they ruled out anything dangerous, and the pain was probably some weird pregnancy thing. I probably just ate too much! Ahh, me. It was definitely a night to remember . . my favorite part being somewhere around 6 AM and offering half of my tiny little cot to Ben so we could try to sleep. We didn't fit facing forward, so we tried to spoon, and that just turned into a hilarious fit of hysterical giggles. And then the doctor came back in. It was a long night with lots of waiting in between every test, but we are grateful that everything checked out just fine! An OB nurse came down as well to do a non-stress test on the babe and his heartbeat was textbook perfect! What a champ. The monitor picked up some tiny contractions on me, but nothing too serious, and probably just from dehydration. We are grateful for good medical care! And a comfy bed at home. :)
February 11th: I had another OB appointment today at 27 weeks 4 days pregnant. It looks like I'm on an every-other-week schedule now. Since my last appointment, I've gained 0.2 pounds. Are you joking me?! I feel like I eat so much! So I'm basically going in to my 3rd trimester this weekend at my pre-pregnancy weight. Crazy. The appointment went well . . my fundal height is actually measuring right on (1/2 a centimeter ahead!) so the doctor wasn't too concerned about Baby's growth, and his heartbeat was great! She prescribed yet another new medication to hopefully give me more help with some of the less comfortable side effects of Zofran. At my next appointment we will *probably* do an ultrasound. Dr. Murphy had put in my charts to do an anatomy re-scan around 30 weeks to check on Baby's renal pyelectasis (dilated kidneys) and EIF (calcium spot on heart). I'm very curious to see if they have resolved themselves. She said that she would also do a growth scan to check Babe's growth because I am so small. Back again in 2 weeks!
February 13th: Oh wait, we liked being at the hospital last weekend? Let's go back. I was feeling cramps all day long so I finally decided to call Labor & Delivery at 9 PM (Ben's favorite time!). Luckily we were only there for about 2 hours this time. Going to L&D is so much nicer than going to the ER. They did actually pick up small contractions, but it wasn't like preterm labor or anything. I need to be sure to hydrate and keep my bladder empty (ahhh, the never ending cycle) and maybe take it a little easier. They also checked Baby (looking great) and ran several other tests on me which I will hear back about in the next few days if there was anything off. We are hoping to not make a visit to the hospital a weekly tradition. :)
February 14th: After our Valentine's dinner date Ben suggested that we check out Old Navy for maternity clothes - it's starting to be a necessity! I didn't have much luck last time I went, but I suppose that's because I never actually found the teeny tiny maternity section. We scored big this time and wow! what a difference real maternity clothing makes!
February 15th: I am 28 weeks pregnant and the 3rd trimester begins!
January 28th: I had my first OB appointment at the Medi-Cal clinic. (A week later and I hadn't gained a single pound!) I am going to a clinic that is run by UCLA and that will allow me to still give birth at the UCLA hospital, which I am so grateful for. But, being seen at a clinic is very different. I'll see a different OB resident and physician for each appointment and this is hard because this pregnancy hasn't exactly been ordinary. Every time I go (and every time I call with a question) I have to explain my entire pregnancy to whomever I talk to. The doctor that I saw for this first appointment was fine, but it was very frustrating to me that she wanted to switch up my entire medicine routine and I left with 5 new prescriptions. I was just like "I'm 25 weeks pregnant now. I tried every medicine available within the first 10 weeks. I've got my routine. Please let me keep it! Let's not rock the boat."
January 29th: I have my first appointment with a new Primary Care Physician. She actually came to me recommended by Dr. Murphy last quarter and she works at a UCLA Family clinic that takes Medi-Cal - what a blessing! She was wonderful and I'm so grateful for this added care that can be more consistent. She spent almost a full hour with me discussing all of my concerns and really learning about me and my situation. Awesome.
January 30th: Glucose Tolerance Test! I drank 75 mg of "orange" flavored pure sugar in 3 minutes and had my blood drawn 3 times. Not my idea of a great morning, but I passed with flying colors!
February 7th-8th: Ugh! What a long night! And nothing was even wrong! I was having some pretty intense chest pains Saturday night, intense enough that I couldn't focus on the latest episode of Downton Abbey we were trying to watch. The pain was in my chest, shoulders, upper back, and jaw . . so we called Labor & Delivery and they directed me to come in to the ER right away. So we did. That was around 10 PM . . and we didn't leave until 11 AM the next day! No sleep! We were delirious! The doctors ran lots of tests - blood work, EKG, leg ultrasounds to check for blood clots, chest X-Rays to check my heart size, and a VQ scan of my lungs to check for blood clots there. They didn't find anything, which means they ruled out anything dangerous, and the pain was probably some weird pregnancy thing. I probably just ate too much! Ahh, me. It was definitely a night to remember . . my favorite part being somewhere around 6 AM and offering half of my tiny little cot to Ben so we could try to sleep. We didn't fit facing forward, so we tried to spoon, and that just turned into a hilarious fit of hysterical giggles. And then the doctor came back in. It was a long night with lots of waiting in between every test, but we are grateful that everything checked out just fine! An OB nurse came down as well to do a non-stress test on the babe and his heartbeat was textbook perfect! What a champ. The monitor picked up some tiny contractions on me, but nothing too serious, and probably just from dehydration. We are grateful for good medical care! And a comfy bed at home. :)
February 11th: I had another OB appointment today at 27 weeks 4 days pregnant. It looks like I'm on an every-other-week schedule now. Since my last appointment, I've gained 0.2 pounds. Are you joking me?! I feel like I eat so much! So I'm basically going in to my 3rd trimester this weekend at my pre-pregnancy weight. Crazy. The appointment went well . . my fundal height is actually measuring right on (1/2 a centimeter ahead!) so the doctor wasn't too concerned about Baby's growth, and his heartbeat was great! She prescribed yet another new medication to hopefully give me more help with some of the less comfortable side effects of Zofran. At my next appointment we will *probably* do an ultrasound. Dr. Murphy had put in my charts to do an anatomy re-scan around 30 weeks to check on Baby's renal pyelectasis (dilated kidneys) and EIF (calcium spot on heart). I'm very curious to see if they have resolved themselves. She said that she would also do a growth scan to check Babe's growth because I am so small. Back again in 2 weeks!
February 13th: Oh wait, we liked being at the hospital last weekend? Let's go back. I was feeling cramps all day long so I finally decided to call Labor & Delivery at 9 PM (Ben's favorite time!). Luckily we were only there for about 2 hours this time. Going to L&D is so much nicer than going to the ER. They did actually pick up small contractions, but it wasn't like preterm labor or anything. I need to be sure to hydrate and keep my bladder empty (ahhh, the never ending cycle) and maybe take it a little easier. They also checked Baby (looking great) and ran several other tests on me which I will hear back about in the next few days if there was anything off. We are hoping to not make a visit to the hospital a weekly tradition. :)
February 14th: After our Valentine's dinner date Ben suggested that we check out Old Navy for maternity clothes - it's starting to be a necessity! I didn't have much luck last time I went, but I suppose that's because I never actually found the teeny tiny maternity section. We scored big this time and wow! what a difference real maternity clothing makes!
February 15th: I am 28 weeks pregnant and the 3rd trimester begins!

5 comments:
Love the updates!! And I love your new shirt. I have the same one! Only not maternity :) Old Navy rocks.
Karin, you look so cute. Yes, you are glowing!
You are beautiful! And look so happy! I am glad things are still looking positive :)
Crazy life you are living!! My pediatrician told me when Matt was tiny that people underestimate how much work and stress babies are, and also they underestimate how much joy they bring to your life. It will all be worth it!! Last trimester! YAY!
Wow, you have had an eventful month! I hope the 3rd trimester goes more smoothly. I also hope that one of these days you get Dr. Kristen Jensen as your attending OB -- she is my OB and I love her SO MUCH it's ridiculous.
Post a Comment